Thursday, 26 June 2014

Royal Roundup: An Emotional Prince Harry Recalls Diana's Death & The Latest from the British Royals

Prince Harry is currently enjoying a tour of Brazil, a visit which has shown the Prince combining his love of sport with working with children.

The British Monarchy Flickr

After spending a day playing soccer with underprivileged children he openly cried while meeting two young Brazilian girls who had lost their mother. Harry said part of the reason he shed tears was because he understood their loss, remembering the painful loss of his own mother.


More from Prince Harry:

'I was completely overwhelmed and shocked. There are two little girls - I'm quite emotional - just looking at them. I wanted to talk about my own experiences but there's no point because it is just so far removed. The bravery of them looking at me, smiling at me... I wanted to use my own experience in a very small way, to try to give them a bit of understanding about the fact, that I saw what they were going through.'

The visit to ACER, a project run by a British man outside of São Paulo, works specifically with those who have lost their parents and helps to reunite them with extended members of their family. This trip has been an enormous success for Harry, highlighting how the royals can extend their influence abroad, something I would love to see other members of the British Royal Family doing.



However, this trip is receiving relatively little press in Britain, it's a terrible pity because if there were photos of Harry intoxicated at a wedding it would dominate every single front page..


************

Her Majesty The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh enjoyed a widely successful visit to Northern Ireland, which saw the couple visit the set of Game of Thrones (Her Majesty declined to sit on the iron throne).

The British Monarchy Flickr

They also visited St. George's Market and laid a wreath at the war memorial in Coleraine to commemorate the centenary of the First World War.

The British Monarchy Flickr

Perhaps the most memorable photo from the visit was this one. A young boy took the opportunity to take a 'selfie' with The Queen :)


************

The Countess of Wessex and her daughter Lady Louise Windsor helped celebrate the 100th birthday of the Brownies with tennis and Jenga at Buckingham Palace. Lady Louise, is a brownie herself, and showed off an impressive number of badges on her sash - which brownies earn for carrying out duties and activities.


Sophie is president of the Brownies and had invited 50 members to the party who were chosen following a prize draw.


Sophie looked summery in a black top, print trousers and her L.K. Bennett 'Shilo' Pumps.


Sophie's pants are the Emilio Pucci Silk Printed Zaffiro Pants. The tonal blue/black paints are high-waisted with a straight leg and feature a retro silhouette. Printed trousers are everywhere at the moment. Have you embraced the trend yet? It's one I'm definitely going to let pass by me :) If you do like them, they're half price at the moment over at Style Bop.

Style Bop

You can watch a great little video from the event here.


************

Princess Beatrice was frequently photographed out and about in London throughout the week. The 25-year-old was dressed in black when she stepped out for a party honouring jewellery designer Eugenie Niarchos at Notting Hill's Greek eatery Mazi.


Beatrice chose an edgy black top by Topshop. The Crochet Patch Fringe Top retails for £65 and comes in sizes XS - L. It's a summery piece, perhaps more suited to casual styling as seen below.

Topshop
Thanks for reading! :)

23 comments:

  1. Sophie looks lovely and appropriate as always. I am not a fan of prints in general, but because of the lighting and the fact that Sophie is mostly hidden, they look fine on her. She has been taking some risks lately, and not all of them have been successful. Every time I see a picture of the white dress with the feathered collar, I don't know whether to laugh or just look the other way. In general though, she looks good, and is always happy. She has long been a favorite of mine. Even when she wears something crazy, she can do no wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte- There was a nice story about Harry's Brazil trip and about ten pictures in the DM. It was thoroughy covered, as were Beatrice, the Queen, and Camilla. Hello had nice coverage of Harry and others, too. I didn't check other sites yet, because you have covered it all quite nicely, thank-you. I especially appreciate your details and photos of Sophie. She looked rested and very-well, pert is the word that comes to my mind. Nice she and Louise have a project together The little girls looked as though they were enjoying themselves. It seems Sophie has bounced back from the death of her horse. At least, she made a great effort.
    I am not fond of the Pucci pants, either. She still was nicely groomed. Those pants were popular in the 60's. My Dad got me a fake? Pucci-type set of "lounging pajamas" Did not wear them outside the house. PS - I have them in my "museum closet." My daughter borrowed them for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so touching about Harry. I know how much he misses and loves his mother. I think Harry is such a good man and has the rapport with children his mother had. He is a beautiful looking man as well. I hope he finds a nice wife one day.
    Thanks Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised to learn that Harry's trip didn't get much coverage. What a pity because I think he shines at times like this. Like Diana, I think he is much more comfortable being real.

    And I smiled at the photo of the boy taking a selfie with HM. Just look at the "OMG, no" expressions on some of the faces. Lol.

    Regarding Sophie and Louise...why, oh why does Sophie insist on dressing her daughter like it's 1950? Look at the footwear on the other girls; the majority are wearing sneakers. As children, we all remember how important it was to fit in and I feel sorry for Louise. I'm sorry, but sometimes I wonder if Sophie isn't trying to impress the Queen at her daughter's expense. Princess Anne was born a royal and she did not do this to her children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anon from Leominster27 June 2014 at 16:55

    Really enjoyed seeing Harry in Brazil. He has such wonderful gifts of relating to people.

    Lovely to see Sophie out too with Louise although I don't like those Pucci trousers, ditto Beatrice's strange top.

    Always a pleasure to see the queen and Philip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a gift with people, I totally agree. And now he's just fixed some lady's television so her family could watch the world cup!

      Harry as TV repairman . . . . is it hot in here?

      Delete
    2. bluhare, I suspect your air conditioner requires some attention too. LOL.

      Delete
    3. My real life air conditioner actually does require some attention, royalfan.

      And today Harry was out dancing with disabled kids. You gotta love the guy.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I saw the pics, bluhare. Good for Harry! :)

      Delete
  7. Royalfan- they look like corrective shoes to me. I know Louise had eye difficulties. Perhaps a foot problem? Her birth was so traumatic. I can't believe Sophie would make her daughter wear shoes like that to impress the Queen. However, you may be more familiar with the situationt than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, if they are corrective shoes, I feel terrible for making the observation. But it is quite common for Louise to be dressed in very old fashioned clothes and this just seems to be in keeping with that. And honestly, corrective shoes or not, for an afternoon like this with so many children involved, I would find a way to make her fit in. She appears to be such a sweet and well behaved girl, but I feel bad for her in that she seems very detached from other children her age. At least that has always been my impression. I do hope that I am wrong.

      Delete
    2. Royalfan, you are right about fitting in. Anything that sets a child apart-positive or negative- can cause a child to feel different and sometimes isolated. Back when I was studying child psychology, there was a stage called the "gang age." Don't know what they call it now. It is a time when children are moving from identifying with parents to peers, before the pairing off of adolescence. In another child and another family, it could be the beginnings of the isolation and being left out that is a common denominator in mass killers. We, as humans, need to pay attention to this. (not sure this holds true in non-Western countries)
      Louise is a royal, she may be tall for her age, and has other issues. Let's hope those "nun shoes" are Louise's choice and that her philosophy is "vive la dif...( Theresa, bluhare, please help with the spelling)

      Note: Lost internet connection after my first rendering of this comment- not sure if both will appear; if so, sorry!

      Delete
    3. Royalfan, I've thought the same about Louise. I know Sophie's been a bit protective of her because of her eyes, but the shoes, tights and sweet coats look a bit young for her as well. I know Sophie and the Queen are close, and maybe the Queen likes seeing Louise dressed like that (not so much the Brownie outfit above, but the coats, tights, shoes). That wouldn't surprise me.

      Delete
    4. marg, yes, fitting in is extremely important and I just cannot imagine an 11 year old girl choosing those "nun shoes". I don't know where Louise goes to school, and that may be part of the dress code in a private school, but at an afternoon with the Brownies? Yikes. :)

      And bluhare, I agree that Sophie has been protective of her because of her eyes, but that should make her even more determined to see to it that she is "one of the girls" in every other way; certainly in a setting like this. I doubt that Sophie dressed this way when she was her daughter's age.

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh the gorgeous Prince Carl Philip of Sweden is engaged to his girlfriend!

    http://www.justjared.com/2014/06/27/prince-carl-philip-of-sweden-sofia-hellqvist-are-engaged/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! We have another royal wedding to look forward to. :)

      Delete
    2. I was just on a blog and was gobsmacked at the talk about this woman. Just gobsmacked.

      Delete
    3. bluhare, I don't know enough about her (other than a modeling career) but I could imagine.

      Delete
  9. Prince Harry is a delight with children, he is a natural. It nearly brought tears to my eyes to read what he said. His visit to Brazil deserves all the attention that the recent royal gossip does not..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. Couldn't agree more.

      Delete
  10. Sarah from Calif.30 July 2014 at 05:21

    Harry, Bless him! What a beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure Louise is tall for her age, but the fact is that she is older than the typical Brownie. Louise is eleven years old; in the ordinary course of things, she would have moved up to the Guides at age ten. I wonder if her mother is having her held back because it suits her own purposes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...