Monday, 9 June 2014

Princess Leonore's Christening

Hello and welcome back!

What better way to return after a hiatus than with a royal christening.

Kungahuset Facebook Page

Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland was christened yesterday, almost exactly a year after her parents Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill were married.


Princess Leonore was baptised in the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm Palace outside of Stockholm. Born on 20 February in New York, she is the second grandchild of Queen Silvia and King Carl XVI Gustaf, following Princess Estelle, the two-year-old daughter of Madeleine's older sister Crown Princess Victoria.


150 guests were in attendance - mostly family and friends - including six godparents. Crown Princess Victoria, Ms Louise Gottlieb, Madeleine's best friend, Patrick Sommerlath, Madeleine's cousin, Tatjana D'Abo, Chris's half sister, Count Ernst Abensperg und Traun, Chris' brother in law and Alice Bamford, Chris' childhood friend.


Proud father Chris gave a short address at the start of the address asking God to "bring love to the child". Victoria was then tasked with pouring water into the font, which was used to baptise Princess Leonore. The water had come especially from a special spring in Öland, a large Swedish island located in the Baltic Sea.


The forty-minute christening was conducted in English and Swedish. Archbishop Anders Wejryd baptised her and said, "We welcome you into the family of God and receive you in love", as Chris cradled her in his arms.


Princess Estelle inside the chapel.


Princess Leonore's christening gown was first worn by Prince Gustaf Adolf when he was christened in 1906. The gown was also worn by Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip, Princess Madeleine, and most recently Princess Estelle.


After the christening service, guests enjoyed a reception in the Ehrenstrahl Hall followed by a private lunch hosted by the King and Queen.

Kungahuset

Menu


Lobster-filled pickled apple cannelloni, Norway lobster panna cotta, trout roe and smoked dill crème
*
Lemon thyme-stuffed chicken breast, confit of chicken leg, potato and asparagus terrine, garden sorrel sauce, tomato and asparagus tips
*
Summer trio of rhubarb and strawberries

The table decorations.
Kungahuset

Princess Leonore's coat of arms and her monogram.


One of the official photographs with Madeleine's parents and Chris' mother.

Kungahuset Facebook Page

Moving on to the royals' sartorial choices today and what a fabulous selection there was. Princess Madeleine chose a dress by Valentino, her wedding gown designer.


The Cotton-Blend Pink Lace Dress is a short-sleeved garment with a flared skirt. The scallop borders highlight the lace's characteristics and its delicate floral pattern. The dress is lined in georgette and doubled in organza with two side pockets featuring organza pocket bags. It originally retailed for £2,035 at My Theresa. It's a gorgeous, feminine, lady-like piece and so very Madeleine.

Valentino

Crown Princess Victoria was also pretty in pink and selected a dramatic Philip Treacy headpiece for the event.


Victoria chose the Belted Jacquard Dress by Dolce & Gabbana. This dress is simply beautiful and oh-so-feminine. The baby pink design is nipped at the waist with a crystal embellished belt and is fully lined in smooth silk. It currently retails at Net-A-Porter for €1,450.

Dolce and Gabbana

Coincidentally, the dress was just worn by Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece at the Derby. I glanced past it whilst reading an article about the day and recall thinking it was such a regal looking dress. Did you prefer it on Victoria or Marie-Chantal?


And we can't forget about Princess Estelle, whose dress might look familiar to seasoned royal watchers (in fact, it was first noted by the wonderful Order of Splendor). It was worn by her mother, Crown Princess Victoria in 1980. Such a lovely occasion to bring this dress back and as always Estelle looked adorable.

Order of Splendor Twitter Feed

It was a splendid christening.


In case you missed it, you can watch the christening in full at YouTube.


24 comments:

  1. Very nice post, Charlotte. Many interesting details. It was worth the wait. . Just teasing. I know how extremely busy you have been
    They all were dressed exquisitely. (The men were also very snappy) The ladies wore just the barest suggestion of a hat. I especially like CP Victoria's head ornament. I think her dress was a better fit than the Greek princess's. The Queen also looked lovely in blue lace.. Fun to see Estelle's dress was a (very fancy) hand-me-down. Even in royal families. ha! I think the sun was in Estelle's eyes in that one picture, other wise, she was her usual classy, charming self. So nice she was included!
    I am liking Chris more. His body language, facial expression, and absorption in Leonore humanized him.

    Loved the menu, heavy on the safood, of course. That rhubarb compte brings back memories. My Mom grew rhubarb inour yard and we enjoyed many a rhubarb pie and every other version. She was half Swedish, so maybe that explains it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to add: I actually prefer the Swedish christening robe to the BRF's gown. This one is simpler, more delicate, and less fussy. Poor George looked very uncomfortable in his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marg,

      I thought the same thing about poor George. He was such a big boy at birth I imagine that the gown was a little tight on him. Since it will be worn by babies of many sizes I wonder how Angela worked that into the fit? Any ideas?

      Delete
  3. Welcome back!!!! And what a wonderful post to begin with. I thought Madeline and Victoria both looked lovely today. The pale rose color certainly suits both of them, maybe Victoria a bit better. However, both hair pieces left me a little perplexed. What happened to the rest of Madeline's hat? Did the dog eat it? Did Valentino forget to design the rest of it? Having just the netting in front of my eyes all day would drive me crazy! Victoria's wrap reminds me of what I put my hair up in to take a shower. Did she maybe forget to take it off after she showered? I find it interesting that Victoria always wears her hair in a bun or ponytail. I would love to see her with her hair down and styled now and then.

    Thanks again for a great post and I'm so glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for your comments!

    It was a lovely christening and one of those memorable royal events one hates to miss covering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinzy from Rome9 June 2014 at 23:49

      Hi Charlotte! It's the first time I write here but I always read your other blog since several years and I appreciate your work so much! Your posts are always so professional, full of details, and you seem to be a really nice person..and everyone who writes here seems to be so kind. You are able to create a beautiful atmosphere in this virtual place! English is not my language as I'm Italian so I preferred to read only until now. Sorry me for my English mistakes! I hope to improve over time..I just try to explain my thoughts.

      As regards the christening, I loved it! Despite these days I'm so busy studying for my university exams, I took a break to see it live and definitely it is worth it! I was fascinating by their wedding last year..Surely if I had known Swedish it would have been even more enjoyable, but I liked it anyway. It's not important to know Swedish to enjoy the best expressions of Estelle. I love her little dress and thanks for pointing out that is the same dress worn by her mother. I love the open attitude of the Swedish Royal family..they seem to enjoy that their public take part in their important events but I understand that the British Royal family is under great pressure and it's more difficult to stay open with all the privacy invasions they have! So, it's not a judgement, only a thought.
      I agree with Lauri's comment about the dresses and the hats. I'm not a great fan of Princess Victoria's hairstyles and hats but I like her dress this time..beautiful colour and shape. I like also the Valentino's dress on Madeline but I found it too short (when she didn't hold the baby in front of her) for that occasion. I don't want to sound old-style as I'm not so..usually I think the opposite about Kate, as lately she wears dresses/coats in my opinion too long and sometimes too big for her physique..anyway if Madeline was comfortable in this way, she did well!
      They seem to be a couple so down-to-earth and surely they are my favourite Royals after William and Kate! Now I'm waiting for the next Swedish wedding..Sweden knows how to celebrate occasions! I imagine Carl Philips will marry her girlfriend next year.. I liked the white coat she wore.

      p.s. Yesterday I saw other photos about the post-ceremony and I found quite fun the picture of Leonore in a baby cot so similar to the Sleeping Beauty one! She is like a little Aurora! I also like her gown more than George's gown..more white and probably more suitable for a little girl! She was so tiny in that gown and despite the same age of George at the christening, she reminded me how big George was at the same age! Anyway, two adorable babies!


      Delete
    2. Aww thank you so much Cinzy. Thank you for commenting and I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts!

      Delete
  5. I was so happy to see this post. Lovely photos! Leonore is adorable and her parents look so proud and happy. I think all the ladies looked very nice and I especially liked Victoria's headpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marg and Lauri - my understanding about the new christening robe was that there are ribbons in the back to accommodate various sizes of babies.
    But maybe they under estimated George and didn't have long enough ribbons! At least that will be the last time he'll have to wear LACE!! Traditional christening gowns aside, I always thought it would be nice to have something less feminine for a baby boy to wear- and leave the lace to the baby girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; it was a lot of lace for a big boy. :)

      Delete
  7. Estelle is amazing. She's two? I think and so well behaved, and I can't believe how much she looks like her mother. I always thought she took after her dad, but after seeing that photo of Victoria in the same dress, the resemblance is striking. The more I see of Victoria the more I like her.

    Madeleine looks beautiful, and her husband looks like one besotted daddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estelle *is* very well behaved. I agree, bluhare. It's nice that Victoria and Daniel are introducing her to the reality of royal life. (But I think she resembles Daniel.)

      Delete
  8. J9, didn't Harry wear it? or $ome version of it. Lace sure. didn't faze him. I bet it itches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marg - Harry very probably did -William, too - I believe the last to wear the very fragile original made for Queen Victoria's first - was one of Sophie Wessex's children...then The Queen commissioned the new replica.
    And you're surely right - lace IS scratchy itchy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had wondered on Charlotte's other blog about a question Cinzy refers to: is the BRF so private because of privacy intrusions; or are there so many invasions of privacy because they are not open?
    The Swedish royal family apparently televised both christening and wedding. George's christening was not televised.
    Was this just a matter of personal preference for the couples involved? Here's another question- are British top echelon royals allowed personal preference in choices involving the public? Compared to other royals.
    I can't imagine the BRF, or even the British, accepting a married monarch with a living divorced spouse; or a consort of a monarch with a living, divorced spouse. (Spain); or a single mother. (Mette-Marit?) as a consort.
    I have conflicting thoughts about these questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, Marg....you're making me do this (LOL), but what about Camilla? Sorry, but I just had to go there. :)

      Delete
    2. royalfan- sorry. For some reason, the Princess Margaret/ Grp. Captain Peter Townsend situation left a permanent imprint on my brain.
      You're right- I was hoping someone would bring her up.I also think Diana was vilified for not following in the footsteps of previous royal wives and looking the other way. Poor Charles got caught in a generatioal crunch. Mistresses were almost a royal tradition. I think there is a dichotomy in the matter of choices available to the BRF. Almost-yes, you can do it and get away with it, but we'll talk about you behind your back.
      Don't know if this makes sense or is even worth saying.
      C&C still have some plays to make in this winning the public game and they hold the winning hand. For every step forward W&C make, it seems they are being yanked back two. Wonder if, after this series of Catherine's engagements, there will be another scandal? We'll see.
      And I have to ask- why was Rebecca seated behind Kate among the VIPs in France? It almost seems she has literally become Kate's shadow. Is she the new "bottom-minder " the tabloids spoke of? Ha!

      Delete
    3. Yes, Marg, IMO Diana *was* vilified for not going with the flow. How dare she object, right? And I too will be interested to see how the PR game goes in the coming years where W&K and C&C are concerned. Diana was accused of manipulating the press and to a degree she did know how to use them to her advantage. But Mrs. PB was not without a friend or two in the press. And I'm sorry but no one, and I mean no one, looks for the photographers like she does. Ugh...

      Delete
    4. Ms. Peanut Butter? ha!

      Delete
    5. Mellie, I was referring to Camilla (Parker Bowles). It's easier for me to use that name.

      Delete
  11. I am so happy for them! The baby and madeleine are beautiful! Did you see the photos of the princess in her swedish traditional costume? she looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, again, royalfan. That was a really stupid remark I made. Which one, you say?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...