Saturday, 8 February 2014

Latest News: King Philippe and Queen Mathilde visit Paris

On Thursday Their Majesties King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium travelled to Paris, France for a one day official visit.

The Belgian Monarchy Flickr

The royal couple were greeted by French president Francois Hollande, who has made international headlines over the past couple of weeks due to his separation from First Lady Valérie Trierweiler following a long-time affair with actress Julie Gayet. Not one to be fazed by the recent media storm the President reportedly complimented the Queen. According to the Belgian Standard Newspaper he said, "Really Majesty, you look like a movie star" to which Mathilde replied, "Nice to hear from an expert".

The Belgian Monarchy Facebook Page

The King and Queen enjoyed luncheon at Élysée Palace with President Hollande, French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault and French Foreign Minsiter Laurent Fabius.

The Belgian Monarchy Facebook Page

The royal couple will visit Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in London in March.


Queen Mathilde looked fabulous in a pink ensemble by Dior, featuring a large bow on the shoulder. The coat dress is beautiful and the bow (love it or hate it) certainly adds another element to the look. I rather like it and thought it very reminiscent of Jackie Kennedy's style. What about you?

The Belgian Monarchy Facebook Page

14 comments:

  1. Wow. Did she really say, "nice to hear from an expert." ??? Am I the only one reading into that one?

    And yes, Charlotte, it did remind me of Jackie Kennedy's style. I think the bow sort of balances the lower half of the coat, but a clutch to match her shoes would have been a nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bluhare in Washington State8 February 2014 at 23:17

      No, you aren't, royalfan! That was a good one.

      Delete
    2. And let me just take a shot in the dark here, but I suspect he took it as a compliment. Lol.

      Delete
    3. Portia from Chicago10 February 2014 at 19:22

      ha ha.. very witty. I have to say - I don't like the bow and wish she did not have it. Just a clean line would have been better. But love the color, and suits her very well.

      Delete
  2. I was very shocked to read it royalfan, very shocked indeed. Mathilde is very witty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks I know nothing about the Belgian royal family very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I regularly read Duchess Kate blog, and have now added this to my "favorites." Bluhare and royalfan, your comments are always a hoot, as well as insightful (on both blogs)! Thanks, Charlotte. :)
    Victoria, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria... thank you :) I really enjoy my discussions/debates with bluhare. And sometimes I can almost picture her rolling her eyes as I type my response. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I was wondering if you would cover the Asian royals too like the Thai, Japanese, Malaysian, Bhutan, etc. They have blue blood too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I am intrigued with Queen Jetsun Pema of Bhutan. She got married in the same year as Kate and she was 21 years old then. Pictures of her are stunningly beautiful and the way she pulls off traditional Bhutan and modern outfits are amazing. :)

      Delete
  6. Bien sur, Royalfan, M Hollande absolutely took that as a compliment. I suspect with Mathilde's stature the royal wit went straight over his head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got to read post - and it is hilarious what you ladies are posting here... Pandora, your last comment is gregarious!

      Late reader

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...