Thursday, 23 January 2014

Royal Rewind: Princess Madeleine's Engagements

Welcome to the first of another weekly series we look forward to sharing here at The Royal Digest: Royal Rewind. Basically most Thursdays we'll be looking back over significant royal events, be it weddings, tours, unforgettable appearances and everything in between. This is one I'm very much looking forward to researching and writing.

I wanted to start with engagements (whether we'll look at engagements for a while or mix it up each week remains to be seen, let me know what you think) and for some unknown reason Princess Madeleine of Sweden popped into my mind, most likely because she was engaged twice in recent years.

Following a romance spanning nine years it came as no surprise when the engagement of Prince Madeleine to Swedish attorney Jonas Bergstrom was announced. Mr. Bergstrom proposed to the Princess on the Island of Capri in August 2009.

AP

A closer look at the ring - a rectangular diamond set horizontally.

PA

There was great excitement in the air and Sweden looked forward to a royal wedding. Unfortunately it wasn't long before rumours of infidelity spread and a 21-year-old student sold a story to tabloids revealing she had a fling with the Princess's fiancé during a ski trip. A heartbroken Madeleine moved out of the Stockholm apartment she shared with Bergstrom and fled to New York without her engagement ring on. The Palace released a statement confirming the separation: "They have decided that it is best for them to go their separate ways."


Madeleine threw herself into her work for the non-profit organisation World Childhood Foundation, which was founded by her mother Queen Silva, and found love again with British-American Christopher O'Neill. This time around the announcement was much more low-key, made through a video on the court's website in October 2012.

Kungahuset

The happy couple gave a candid interview, during which Princess Madeleine revealed Chris "opened up" her heart and is her "soul mate":
How does it feel to be engaged?
Princess Madeleine: We are both extremely happy and delighted. It is a very special day for us. 
When and how did Christopher propose? 
Princess Madeleine: Chris proposed to me at the beginning of October. It was a very romantic and intimate proposal, but more details about the proposal we want to keep to ourselves.
Christopher, were you nervous? Had you planned this for a long time?
I had been thinking about proposing for a while, but I wanted to wait until the right moment. But I have been sure all along that Madeleine was the one I wanted to marry.
Where did you meet the first time? 
Princess Madeleine: We met through mutual friends. For me it started with a great friendship. We share the same humour and we have a lot of fun together. Christopher opened up my heart, he is my soul mate.
Christopher, when did you know Princess Madeleine was the right one?
From the very outset, I immediately felt something special with Madeleine.
What was your first impression of Christopher?
Princess Madeleine: I appreciate Chris for his warmth and his humour. He has a very big heart and he manages to make everyone in his presence feel good. Christopher is a very thoughtful and generous person. 
Christopher, have you asked the King's permission for Princess Madeleine's hand?
Yes, I met with The King and I asked His Majesty's permission to marry Princess Madeleine.
What was the King's response?
Christopher O'Neill: The King and The Queen were both happy, and touched as well, I think. 
  
Christopher, do you know any Swedish?
I can say some Swedish phrases and am in the process of taking lessons so that I may speak fluently in due course.
Princess Madeleine, how do you feel about Christopher's family? 
I appreciate Christopher's family very much. They have always been very nice to me and welcomed me with open arms. Christopher has a lovely family!
Christopher, how do you feel about Princess Madeleine's family?
I know the Swedish Royal Family very well. They have been extremely welcoming to me and I felt part of the family right from the very beginning. Madeleine's family is very warm and we have a very good time when we all see each other.
Talking about family, will you start planning for a family right away?
Princess Madeleine: Of course we look forward to getting married and someday building our own family.
Where will you live?
Princess Madeleine: For the time being we will continue to live in New York due to both of our current obligations. However, we will not exclude the possibility of moving to Sweden in due course.  
  
Christopher, what do you think about Sweden?  
Sweden is fantastic. It is such a beautiful country with very friendly people. I have mostly just been to Stockholm and Öland but I hope I will have the opportunity to visit Sweden a little more often now. 
  
Lastly and most importantly, when is the big day?
Princess Madeleine: We will have to get back to you regarding that. The wedding will take place in Sweden sometime during the summer of 2013.

Kungahuset

Upon seeing the engagement photos I instantly noticed how much more comfortable and at ease Madeleine looked with Christopher (it was very much a case of having to kiss a frog before meeting her Prince).

For the above official portrait Madeleine selected a striking dark green shirtdress by Alberta Ferretti. The puff-sleeved dress features a high neckline and delicate ruffles. It originally retailed for €1,200. I thought it looked just lovely on the Princess; the green worked very well with her dark hair (I always preferred her look as a brunette as opposed to blonde).

Kongahuset/Alberta Ferretti

The engagement ring is absolutely stunning. Elegant. Timeless. Perfect!

Kongahuset

Of course, we know Madeleine got her happy ending with Chris and the two will be welcome their first child into the world this year.

10 comments:

  1. Charlotte, you have been a very busy lady with these posts! I don't know how you juggle it all, but THANK YOU. :)

    Engagement posts are an excellent idea. I felt bad for Madeleine when her heart was broken and I'm glad she found Christopher. It was so touching when he became emotional as she walked down the aisle, and at other times during their special day. That spoke volumes IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree.
      Colorado Eve

      Delete
  2. How her first fiance could be so stupid is beyond me but she is well rid of him. Hope she finds happiness this time. They make a very handsome couple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great timing for this post, with the Princess and her husband expecting their first child. Madeleine looks very happy and content. I've heard that their child will be born in New York, but I wonder if the christening will be in Sweden? I would really like to see a similar post on her sister, Victoria and her husband Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bluhare in Washington State23 January 2014 at 17:39

      And Estelle! My favorite European royal!

      Delete
  4. Would love see their wedding photo added to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel bad that her first fiance betrayed her trust so badly. Shame on the mistress for selling her story, but she found a better guy and a bigger engagement ring lol. I absolutely love her nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - shame on the mistress for making money out of it, but I'm glad that Madeleine found out before she got hitched and dodged that one.

      And I'm with you on the bigger bling!!!

      Delete
  6. Out of all the "blood" princesses I thought she was always one of the most gorgeous ones. Especially as a brunette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is a beauty so happy for her after her first fiancé cheated on her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...