Thursday, 3 January 2013

Iconic Royals: Grace Kelly Movie

I was writing a post for the 'Duchess Kate Blog' this afternoon when I noticed a 1983 movie titled Grace Kelly was on. There has been quite a lot of news in the media concerning a new biopic about Grace starring Nicole Kidman (I love Nicole's work but I'm unsure if she was the correct choice to portray Grace), and I was interested to see what this movie had to offer.


The made-for-TV movie, starring Cheryl Ladd, looks at Grace's life from her childhood in Philadelphia until to her marriage to Prince Rainier of Monaco. It depicts Grace's struggles as a young actress in New York and her struggles to be taking seriously in movies before landing roles in classics such as 'High Noon' and 'Mogambo'.


Cheryl Ladd as Grace at the 1954 Acadamy Awards where she won the Best Actress award for her portrayal of a housewife married to an actor trying to save his career following their son's death in 'Country Girl'.


The movie glosses over Grace's brief romance with her 'Mogambo' co-star Clark Gable and French-born American fashion designer Oleg Cassino who she might have married had it not been for her parents' disapproval. Grace's courtship with Prince Rainier is an enjoyable part of the movie with real footage used of Grace arriving in Monaco the day before the wedding.


The movie, which was sanctioned by Grace shortly before her death and made with the help of the Princess Grace Foundation, could be described as a fairytale account of the actress-turned-Princess's life. Cheryl Ladd looks fantastic in the movie and does a fine job. Not many actresses could portray the icy cool blonde. One negative point was Cheryl Ladd's accent in the movie which failed to capture Grace's Mid-Atlantic accent.


The most enjoyable aspect of the movie was Grace's relationship with her father John B. Kelly whom, it is said, she always sought approval from. Kelly was a three-time Olympic gold medallist and their relationship was strained at times owing to her father's inability to express his love for his daughter. Lloyd Bridges does an excellent job as John.


The movie is on regularly if you would be interested in watching it on channels such as Sony Movies and is available to buy at Amazon. If you're looking for complete historical accuracy this might not be for you but if you enjoy the story of an American girl who became a Hollywood star and a Princess it's well worth a watch!

We'll be taking a look at Grace's royal life in the near future.

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations for the blog....i'm a regular visitor To your other blog hrgduchesskate, which i love....are you a jornalist? You do a great job...kisses from Portugal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a journalist but love following the royals and writing about them.

      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Sarah from Calif.3 January 2013 at 21:42

      You might not have gone to College for Journalism but you have a true talent for writing:)))

      Delete
    3. You're too kind Sarah x

      Delete
  2. Hi there, I enjoy your other blog too, and this one will also become a favourite I think. I agree - Nicole Kidman would not have been my first choice to play Grace Kelly. My first choice would have been January Jones - I think physically she is a much better match. What do you think? :0) Greetings from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought January Jones would have been an excellent choice. I enjoy Nicole's movies but I'm not sure she's the right actress to play Grace.

      Delete
  3. Just want to say thank you. I love Grace Kelly, she is my role model, she was incredibly elegant woman. I've never heard of that movie. What a surprise to find out. Can't wait to see it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this film,not bad the choice because Cherryl was cute.But Nicole,I don;t like her!
    Your blog is very nice!
    Thank you!
    I HAVE A BLOG WITH A LOT OF PHOTOS(PRINCESSES AND QUEENS)
    This is the link if you like to see it

    http://royaland.ek.la/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serar - terrfic blog. Adding it to my blogroll now :)

      Thank you all for your comments. I adore Grace Kelly and will be covering her life in depth in the Iconic Royals posts :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for adding my blog,I did the same,sorry for my poor english,have a nice week end! :)

      Delete
    3. Sarah from Calif.5 January 2013 at 02:32

      Serar and Charlotte I have read alot about Queen Rania of Jordan. I saw her on a Tv special lately. It was a (?) don't know the word but it was women speaking about women's issues in the world and she was wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I think Miss Kidman , will make a tremendous , princess Grace in the new movie about her . Miss Kidman has the maturity , and the cold but sexy aura , that was Princess Grace !

    Miss Kidman , has developed as an actress , so let's not judge her until we see the movie ?

    Love this blog too btw .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. Indeed you are correct until we see the performance it difficult to know whether or not Nicole can portray Grace but Nicole is a fantastic actress. Her performances are some of the best I've seen.

      Delete
  6. Grace Kelly is so beautiful,,,,Thank u Charlotte for this recap :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new blog Charlotte, it's looking great so far :) Louise, Bath

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very curious about the Nicole Kidman new movie. I think Grace was a wonderful actress, she was SO beautiful, but somehow I think she was not very happy in Monaco - I don't think her married life was very successful. Anyway, she has left a great legacy, and Charlene has some big shoes to fill... and it seems she's doing all right so far. (Btw, isn't she pregnant? She looks pregnant to me) :)
    Hugs!
    Z.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah from Calif.5 January 2013 at 02:21

    My husband thought Charlize Theron would make a great Grace Kelly. I agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that. Charlize is quite a lot like Grace. Did you see her Dior ad where we see her greeting Grace? Absolutely love it.

      Delete
  10. Sarah from Calif.5 January 2013 at 23:37

    I have seen a Dior commercial with her but I don't remember seeing Grace. Maybe I'm seeing a different one than you. They are both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GRACE Kelly had blue eyes so I guess the figure is more important

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...