Saturday, 5 January 2013

Danish Royal Family New Years Banquets & Style

There is no doubt about it, the Danish royal family certainly know how to ring in the New Year in style with the New Year's Levees. Each year, the Queen and the Prince Consort hold New Year's levees at Amalienborg and Christianborg Palace, respectively, at the beginning of New Year. The New Year's banquet was held on January 1 in Christian VII's Palace for the government, the country's top civil servants and the Royal Court's leadership.

Kongehuset

The royal ladies didn't disappoint in the style stakes with Princess Mary looking striking in a Jesper Hovring dress. One of my favourite blogs Order of Splendor noted Mary wore the dress to the same event three years ago. The vibrant colour works very well with Mary's dark hair and pale skin. The addition of ruby jewels completed the look.

Kongehuset

Queen Margarethe looked regal in navy velvet.

Kongehuset

Princess Marie's choice of dress sparked the most discussion. The shiny, deep pink dress features ruffled feathers at the bottom. Again Marie chose stunning jewels, something the Danish royal ladies do best.

Kongehuset

More on the history of the New Year's Levees from the official website:

'For centuries, the Royal Danish House and Danes have wished each other a Happy New Year and, with that, good luck and prosperity for the whole kingdom. The origin of the contemporary New Year's Levees and New Year's banquet is not known with certainty, but already in the mid 1600s the events around the changing of the year were referred to as old customs, and the basic elements are still the same'.

On January 2 the New Year's Levee for the supreme court and the officer corps of the Royal Life Guard and Royal Hussar Guard regiments was held in Christian VII's Palace, Amalienborg.

Kongehuset

On the 3rd, a banquet was held for officers from the Defence and the Danish Emergency Management Agency.

Kongehuset

Mary chose a bespoke pale silver gown with a matching jacket by Danish designer Julie Fagerholt. The outfit has been in her wardrobe for years and she's worn it publicly a number of times. What did you think of her sartorial choices over New Year's? The Crown Princess is one of my favourite royals and I always look forward to seeing what she wears.

Kongehuset
The royals inside the great hall.

Kongehuset

One can view videos from the events here and here.

Kongehuset

Thank you all for reading and taking the time to comment on posts thus far. It is greatly appreciated and I am delighted to see such interest in the royals!

21 comments:

  1. Great work Charlotte. I love the simple, demure style of the princesses. We have all learned over the past while how flattering this is to wear and how comfortable and easy too. I am not in the league of buying these dresses but it inspired me to get out my sewing machine and make them with excellent results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love to see the results :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow they all look fantastic! It is so nice to see them looking so regal, it's everything I want from royals! Great post :)

    I don't think our royal family have any traditions along these lines do they? If anything they seem to shy away from donning the full regalia in public..at least that's how it seems; please correct me if I am wrong!

    Louise, Bath, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not. We've not seen the Duchess of Cambridge wearing a tiara yet and the British royal family don't have traditions such as this.

      Delete
  3. I'm thrilled to see a post about Princess Mary. I love her sense of style - both formal and casual. My favorite look (posted here) is the pink gown and brown (?) jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess Mary has an amazing sense of style and I love that she supports Danish fashion.

      Jasper Jovring is incredible and his designs are perfect for royalty.

      Delete
    2. Sarah from Calif.5 January 2013 at 20:59

      Ohhh I do love that deep pink dress!
      Saw the Queens gold crown in other pictures and it is my least favorite of all the European crowns I've seen. It's just not delicate or exquisite to me.

      Delete
    3. Sarah, I agree with you about the gold tiara. At least from the photos I've seen, it looks very yellow in contrast to her complexion. Not very flattering IMO, and not my favorite at all. :)

      Delete
    4. Sarah from Calif.6 January 2013 at 17:20

      royalfan, there is some interesting info. on the gold tiara at the (Royal Order of Satorial Splendor) blog if your interested. It's one of the blogs on the side bar. I still don't like it but there is a nice story behind it.

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos,your site is one of my favorites,really wonderful,Mary and the Queen are so perfect,everyone has her personnality and style.Thank you again!
    Serar

    ReplyDelete
  5. LKC in South Carolina5 January 2013 at 21:17

    Oh my! My first read about the Danish royals - thank you! I too love the pink dress and the jewels are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooove the Danish Royal Family. They are all so beautiful. Princess Mary is one of the most beautiful and with more sense of style in Europe as well as Princess Marie (also of Denmark) and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands.
    I´m not a huge fan of the colours of their dresses but they suit them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the construction of Princess Mary's gown but I have never been a fan of the color orange, so the tangerine shade isn't doing much for me. It's also just not a very wintery color. I'd love to see her in something emerald green.

    Do you have any information on the pink dress Mary is wearing with the brown jacket? I'd love to see the top portion of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      I don't know the designer but Mary wore the tulle dress with the brown jacket in 2010. Unfortunately she's never been photographer (to my knowledge) wearing it without the jacket.

      Delete
  8. did i confuse the pics or did margrethe wear the same thing 2 days in a row? how odd.

    i love mary's orange dress (love the construction) and the grey dress is v elegant and flattering too. she seems to be following margrethe's lead in having certain nye levee outfits. she's worn the pink and brown jacket and the grey dress before for the levees, and not, i think for anything else.

    i find marie's dress too shiny and the ruffles overwhelming and kind of odd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theresa, from Paris6 January 2013 at 15:41

    Wonderful post ! I really love the way the Danish monarchy doesn't refrain from the whole enchilada with jewels and evening wear ;)
    I too admire greatly Princess Mary's style : this time my favourite outfit was the pink and brown. Loved the tulle like a ballet dancer. I admire the way she has learned Danish and does so much charity work, speaking at important events like the real pro she has become. She moves with a lot of grace and poise. Her mariage on Youtube is wonderful to watch. I usually love her red evening dresses. Ravishing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anyone know why Princess Mary is wearing only one glove?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Mary and Marie, especially Mary: she's very elegant, love her four adorable children, and she does a wonderful work. She came all the way from Australia to be a danish princess, what a challenge!
    But I always prefer their style on less formal occasions, because on formal events like these they wear too much jewelry, it looks heavy. I'm not a fan of the orange dress: I like the design but not the colour. As what concerns the pink dress Marie wore...well...I don't like it either. :) But they certainly have worn great dresses before.
    Hugs!
    Z.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, love Princess Mary's pink tulle dress with the brown jacket! So very elegant. I'm always attracted to evening gowns/ensembles that look fab without baring a lot of skin, and this is one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really do have a fascination for Royals, although I'm not sure my family would understand it. However, thanks for this blog on other royals, I look forward to reading more on them. I love Princess Mary and her style and I look forward to reading more about the Danish Royal family =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...